Please note: Due to the pandemic the Social Skills Groups are not meeting.
Therapist leader: Cheryl Wilkie, SLP
Social skills groups are curriculum-based sessions, usually 10 or 12 weeks long, for children ages 5-12. Participants are grouped into age ranges, but are on the same level and working on the similar skills.
Curriculum is customized to meet the needs of each group. During the group, there is usually a check-in where children share how they are doing and tell the group about their week. There are always activities or games designed to support goals and teach or reinforce targeted skills. For the younger children, there is usually a “show and tell” and snack. Parents receive handouts at the end of each session, telling about the day’s lessons, and offering suggestions for how to reinforce learning at home.
Topics covered are always targeted to the age and needs of the participants, but could include:
- Initiating, maintaining and terminating conversations
- Turn taking in conversation/ sharing topics, topic shifting
- Making and keeping friends
- Being flexible and learning to compromise
- Interpreting tone of voice, facial expressions and body language
- Eye contact and facing the speaker
- Playing cooperatively and settling conflicts
Registration is ongoing, so if your child joins the group in the middle of the session your fee will be prorated.